Thursday, January 20, 2022

 It’s 14 degrees outside with a 12 mph “breeze” which equals 10 degree “feels-like”. Not a day for flip-flops; unless you are my neighbor Dan, who wears his flip flops 365. But yes, it is a cold one out there. Fortunately, we did not get any snow, once again so I have no shoveling to do or ice to slip on. 

Ms. Kate and I went to the local Neighborhood Walmart yesterday and I went and grabbed the groceries that we needed. I guess people thought we were in for snowmagedden or something, they way they were filling their carts. The conversations were all about “It’s coming earlier than expected.”  “It’s going to hit us hard, or it’s going south of us”. The line for the checkout went forever. All of the registers are self checkout now. But, it all moved pretty quickly. I had a list of the residual items that we weren’t able to get on Tuesday and picked up my stuff fairly quickly. I’ve gotten to where I don’t really mind the self check-out there. I won’t use it other places but I think I get through quicker by checking myself out. There’s no “chit-chat” to hold me up. 

We came home and put our groceries away and then Kate got busy making a big ol pot of veggie soup. Man is it good. I called neighbor Dan and asked him if he wanted some and here he come, knocking on the door. I sent a half gallon home with him, and we still have a least a gallon and a half left. Heck I had five bowls of it myself all total. I do love Ms. Kate’s soups as I have told you that before. She learned to make Veggie soup from her mom who made the best I had ever had. My mother made terrible soups except for her cream of tomato soup which she always fixed along with grilled cheese sandwiches. Actually, my mother didn’t cook anything particularly well, but she was great with salads. 

Ms. Kate learned to cook by trial and error. When we got married she couldn’t cook at all. But those were the days when it was expected that the wife did the cooking so she learned and she learned very well. And I made it a point that I would always eat what ever she cooked, regardless of taste. She started out with just one electric skillet and a four inch pot because all of our stuff got ruined when we wrecked our car on the way to our first duty station. Now, we have more pots and pans and kitchen utensils than we can count and we have shelves and shelves of cookbooks in our house. But the one that gets used the most is the one that she put together herself that now encompasses three “2 inch three ring binders” of her recipes, and she has given a copy of them to each of the girls and to Joshua. Her legacy will live on. Our daughter are all good cooks too. 

That’s enough about cooking and eating. I’m going to demonstrate all of my cooking knowledge and put a bagel in the toaster. You have yourself a wonderful day. Peace. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment