Wednesday, February 4, 2015

First things first, fill the bird feeders because the Lord knows we wouldn't want a bunch of Starlings to be hungry! Yep, even before pouring my coffee this morning, I noticed that the feeders were pretty well stripped.  And, even as I filled them the Starlings were starting to land in the trees. It looked like a scene out of The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock. On the other hand though, the Cardinals were filtering in too so I reckon they can sort it all out. It won't matter much when the squirrels arrive because they will take over the feeders for about 45 minutes.

I have a pair of Blue Jays in here this morning. That is unusual because they are normally rather solitary birds. Hmmmm! What's up with that? And, he's not even being a Mr. Fuss-a-lot today. I guess he's found his mate so I guess he thinks there is no need to impress now. Men are kind of stupid that way sometimes.

God has all of the heavenly blue hanging out there today decorating the sky; only an occassional wisp of a high cloud can be seen. At the moment it is hard to believe that we are supposed to get a snow storm with blowing winds and plummeting temperatures yet this evening. We have already cancelled choir this evening because all of that is supposed to come in about the same time as choir starts and most of the choir is made up of elderly ladies who won't drive in that kind of weather. I plan to get my work done at the church early too to avoid the roads if they get slick. It isn't supposed to drop more than about an inch of snow but it is the manner in which it is expected to arrive that appears to be the problem.

Yesterday was a good writing day and I got a whole sermon done. Sometimes I get an idea going and it really flows. Yesterday was one of those days. So, "thank you" Lord for you gift of words yesterday.

I learned yesterday that one of the folks on our prayer list seems to be making great strides in his recovery, given the severity of his injuries. I don't know the man; he is a relative of a parishioner. Several weeks ago he fell out of a high-lift bucket while trimming a tree. As an arborist, it is a job he has done thousands of times but somehow he ended up falling about twenty feet face first. He has several severe injuries including an injured spinal cord. But, he is now managing some movement in his arms and is determined that he will beat his paralysis. His faith is strong and God does work mighty miracles. So, we certainly keep him in our prayer. His name is Michael if you want to join the chorus. He has a minimum of six months of therapy ahead of him.

My brilliantly red Cardinal sits out here on the bird bath this morning just to remind me of the wondrous glory that is God. I know we Christians don't have totems but this bird is just special because it is so beautiful. Everytime I see it sitting there, it reminds me to say a prayer of thanks for the fullness of my life. Look around your world today. God has a reminder out there for you too. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment