Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sunday evening and I know it has been a few days since I wrote my last blog. I make no apologies though because we have been having a wonderful time on our vacation. We have  seen such wonderful beauty in God's perfect nature. And we have learned things as we drive along and stop and look at things. I wish I knew how to incorporate some of my pictures into this blog but, I have put many of them on Facebook and maybe folks are tired of seeing them anyway.

Thursday we crossed the Teton Pass over to Jackson, WY and drove into the Grand Teton National Park. One of the things that "grabs " you first about gong from Driggs, Idaho is that to get to Jackson you go through the Teton Pass. The road is a 10% grade which is pretty darn steep. And, it is also a narrow road with few guardrails. I guess the good news is that it is only about twenty miles long and we only had to cross it three times. I'll admit thought that even though it was a bit of a "white-knuckle" drive, it was beautiful. And on one of the trips we saw a moose.

Grand Teton National Park is maybe one of the most photographed park in the country. We had to the opportunity to go to the Chapel of the Transfiguration. It is a log chapel built by the Episcopalians and there is an altar built in from of a picture window so what you see is the cross and the mountain range in the back ground. It is indeed inspiring. I had been there maybe 60 years ago and it is as inspiring today as it was then. From there we went on to see Lake Jenny which is also absolutely beautiful.

Friday we took off from Idaho and headed out for Cheyenne, Wyoming. I had made reservations for us to stay in the Distinguished Visitor guest quarters  on F.E. Warren AFB at Cheyenne. FE is the oldest continuous operating military installation in the U.S. It is a missile base but began as a cavalry post was active during the "winning the west". One of the amazing things that happened was that I went out to my car at around 2300 hours to get something and as I walked out there were five large antelope laying out there about 15 feet away from my car. They just basically ignored me as I rummaged through my car and went back to my quarters. It was a neat experience.

Yesterday we drove from Cheyenne to Saline, Kansas which was about 550 miles and a very long day. By the time we got in, we were bushed. Today we made a short day of it and drove only as far as Columbia, MO. True, we could have driven another 250 miles and been home tonight but it is storming at home and by tomorrow we should be driving home in sunshine.

As I have said, it has been a wonderful vacation. I know not everybody has the opportunity to take a trip like this but the truth is that in order to find the wonders of God's world we don't really have to travel 4000 miles like Ms. Kate and I are doing. I see God's wonder as I set and look out my sun porch which I look forward to doing come Tuesday morning.

In the mean time, I pray your days will be filled with God's blessings. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment