Thursday, October 26, 2017

It is flat out chilly this morning at 40 degrees. But this is supposed to be “the pick day of the week” according to my reliable weather dude. It is supposed to go up to almost 70 degrees and with the sun shining like it is, it will feel pretty good out there.

The buffet is busy again this morning. But today’s visitors have to contend with the sharp-beaked bullies; the starlings. They not only drive other birds away from the feeders, they drive themselves away from the feeders because they are so greedy and fight so much. I still haven’t filled the feeders like I need to but they are doing a pretty good job of cleaning out the last of what is out there. I may need to run down to Pet Food Center and pick up another forty pound bag of sunflower seed or two today. We’ll see, after I get everything filled up.

I got up earlier than usual this morning for no reason other than I guess my body had all the sleep it felt it needed. When I beat sunrise and the garbage man — that’s early. But it will give me some xtra time to get some things done today. Yesterday I did get up on my roof and walk the gutter line, blowing out the leaves. It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it might be. The wind had taken out a lot of them but I got everything cleaned up. Today I need to rake again and mulch up what has fallen. I did take care of the leaves out in the front yard yesterday and drove across the street and mowed and mulched Dan’s yard. I don’t know whay I think I have to do that. It isn’t like he has ever asked me to. . I guess it is just because I like to drive my John Deere. Maybe if I had an acre or two of my own to mow I’d feel differently about it. I’m doing a fairly good job of keeping up with it all as far as the leaves are concerned. I still have to get out there in the flowerbeds and clean out weeds. I seem to have now come up with a bunch of what I’ve always called “wild cabbage”. I never had that before so it’s just another thing to do and other thing to try to get rid of. I also have to cut out an Azealia that has died out front of the house and I need to take out the four-o’clock plants.

Tomorrow we have lunch with Bob and Brenda. It is our periodic “mushrooms and beer” luncheon. We all look forward to those and they seem to be therapeutic for Bob. It has been six months now since Georgia Ann passed away and he is slowly letting his grief subside and is moving on. He misses her terribly as do we all.

I’m preaching the sermon at my church on the 19th of November so I have been working on that. I had a good start on it when my computer crashed last week and I lost all my files. But, I’ve rewritten it and have it just about done. Between now and then I’ll probably read and re-read it and tailor it some more. That’s what I do. But, I’m so glad to have an opportunity to preach again. This year off for “retirement” has done wonders for me as far as relaxing and slowing down. But, I firmly believe that God isn’t quite done with me yet. I’m not ready to pitch my name out there to take another full time pastor’s job but I do want to be available for some “supply” work or maybe a short interim pastorship. Our denomination logo is “God is Still Speaking” and I firmly feel that God has more for me to say.  In the meantime, I’m just glad to be preaching on November 19th and want to do my best.

That’s it for today my friends. The sun has topped the roofline so I think I’ll pour aother cup of coffe and watch the starling beat one another up. Then I’ll throw on my jacket and go out and fill feeders. God has presented me yet another day of beauty and I need to be outside and enjoy it. I hope it is a beautiful day wherever you may be and I hope you have time to get outside and let the warmth of the sun and the power of Christ’s peace warm you throughout your entire body. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment