Monday, December 15, 2014

The countdown is on. Ten more days until Christmas, nine more days until Ms. Kate's birthday. One more rehearsal before the cantata next Sunday. All kinds of ways to tell that the month of December and the year 2014 are rapidly disappearing. Time does seem to pass more quickly when we are older. Although my 97 year old mother would tell you that time just drags because there is "never anything to do"; although one would have a hard time finding her in her apartment because she is always gone to some activity.

Yesterday was a first for me in the ten years I have been giving sermons at our two churches. I had finished the first service just fine but was starting to develop a sinus drip in the back of my throat. At the second service I caught a coughing fit in the beginning of giving the sermon and simply could not catch my breath and talk, ---  let alone continue to give the sermon. I told the congregation that I couldn't finish it and invited anyone to come up and give the sermon for me. Luckily I write all of my sermons out. Well, --- bless his heart, Scott Wallis came forward and read the message for me and did an excellent job of it too. I will certainly take cough drops to the churches and store under each pulpit so that doesn't happen again. By the end of the sermon I had recovered enough to finish the service.

It is a rainy morning and is supposed to be that way on and off all day; --- and this will be one of the better weather days this week. It is at least a little warmer today but by the end of the week predictions call for more of a rain/snow mix type of pattern. I know there are people who are praying for a white Christmas next week but not me. I just don't need snow in my life to make me happy or to enhance my Christmas spirit. In fact, snow makes me more of a Christmas Grinch!

I have a lot of things to get done this week which includes getting all of the stuff put away from the re-model, and I still have visitations to do and at least one more sermon to write, plus a funeral to put together for this coming Saturday. Unfortunately my biggest detractor is this recliner and my sunporch. I love sitting out here just watching the happenings in the yard, or writing my blog, or simply taking quiet time with the Lord. The peace of it all is good for my soul; --- but not very good for getting things done. I strongly doubt, however, that my last thoughts on earth will be that I wish I had gotten more work done; but rather --- "thank you God for the peace in my soul."

My prayer then for today is that you too will find that same peace in your life. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment