Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Hi y’all. It is Wednesday morning and I thought I would give you just a little catch-up on my progress and what I believe is my journey from this point on. First of all —- It’s all good.

Monday I had my third surgery. The doctor had told me that I would be the last patient on his schedule so it might not be until 1600 hours that he could operate. That was fine by me. I woke up Monday morning and they were taking me through my morning routine of medicine breathing treatments etc, etc. At 0720 my med-tech said they had a schedule change and I was to go to surgery at 0800. They scrambled around here to try to get everything set up on this end and we waited. At 0900 the schedule changed again and I was now to go to surgery at 1500.

I went down to surgery and they put me under and did the surgery. Dr. Richardson told Ms. Kate that everything looked really good. The would was infection free and they had totally removed the Achilles’ tendon during the second surgery. So, while the surgery was a success, the anesthesia was a bummer. They had to give me Narcan (SP) to bring me out of it. I was literally in a different world than anyone or anything around me and it wasn’t until 2000 hours until I was lucid enough that Ms. Kate was comfortable enough to leave me and go home for the night. I told Dr. Richardson and our family doctor, Dr. Jackson about it last night and they both agreed that it was from too many operations in a row and too much anesthesia stacked on top of one another. It wasn’t preventable but it happened. I think I had a flashback from it at 0100 this morning when I saw two surgical people examining my ankle and foot that my nurse said weren’t there. But, they spoke to me and I acknowledged them. So, there is that!!

Today is supposed to be go home day. I’m waiting on the doctor to came take the wound vacuum off of my leg so I can move around. He will remove it, take pictures of the wound, and rewrap it. I also need to wait for the admin folks to catch up with us to set up the in-home antibiotic treatments and whatever else I need. Dr. Richardson will see me next week for a wound check, and then the week after that he will remove the stitches and then I can begin to put my foot down and they will fit me for my brace. The long term hope held out there by my doctor is that maybe in a year I can be back out of the brace in a year. The ankle will “never be the same” of course. But, —- Life is good!  Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment